7.26.2004

THE Democratic Convention


Chicago welcomes the youth of America (August 26, 1968)

When I hear the words, "Democratic Convention," the first images that come to mind are always those from THAT convention 36 years ago, in 1968. While I didn't take part in those demonstrations, fate provided a very unusual experience connected to them that ensures I will never forget.
I was returning to California from Boston (with a scheduled several hour lay-over in Chicago) and while aware of what was planned for the convention, I had already experienced a long and hard Spring and Summer, and really wasn't thinking about any involvement. When I boarded the plane in Boston, I started noticing lots of very large guys dressed as construction workers boarding the plane and going up into first class. Some even carried "hard hats" and lunch-boxes with them. I was no stranger to flying, but had never seen anything quite like this.
I asked one of the stewardesses, and she said that she didn't know who they were but thought it "very strange." All was quiet on the flight, and everyone seemed very well behaved, but the moment we landed in Chicago, all hell broke loose...As they departed the plane, the "workers" began immediately picking fights with select people in the terminal. Each of their victims could generally be described as young and "hippy-looking". They were being kicked, choked, and knocked out of ticket lines.
I stood for a moment very confused by what I was seeing until the stewardess grabbed my arm and took me into one of the bar lounges for safety. I ended up hiding out in this lounge several hours until it was time to catch my plane out of there...Later, I found out that Chicago's fine Mayor Daley Senior had hired many such goons to break up and discredit the protests. They were described in the media as "Silent Majority" workers rising to their "patriotic duty".
It took many years for me to regain even a little respect for the Democratic Party, let alone politics in general. What had been the promise of Robert F. Kennedy, with his death, had been twisted into a nomination for Johnson's lackey, Hubert Humphrey. And of course, Nixon won, and maybe that was the point all along...
Now it looks as though this Democratic Convention will be a relatively tame affair. No one expects any serious protests or any surprises, barring the rumored bogus al-Qaeda "attack" hinted at by Bush's boys. No, the "action" probably will be at the GOP convention in New York, next month. Many groups have promised protests and the Republicans are furiously working to thwart their plans. I believe there will be violence, but its extent is still to be seen. Much depends on how desperate Bush has become by August. If "regime change" seems likely, it could be very brutal indeed.
I can't tell anyone whether to go or not, but if you are sincere in your protest, I say that you should follow your heart. But beware, no one can be counted on to treat you fairly. Keep your eyes open and don't let your guard down.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home