10.19.2004

Obama Supports Sinclair?

I just had a very strange experience. Talking to a friend, we realized that the Barack Obama campaign ads were still running on right-wing Sinclair Broadcast affiliates in Illinois, and no statement had been made concerning their possible removal. So I decided to call and ask about it.

First, I called the Springfield office, and the cheery greeting turned otherwise when I asked my question, "What is the Obama campaign's position regarding the continuation of their campaign ads on Sinclair Broadcast affiliates?"

"No one here has talked about it." Then, after some prodding, "The Chicago office handles all the advertising." As I began another question, I was cut off, "Thanks for calling Obama Headquarters and thanks for your support," as the phone was hung up.

This was upsetting enough, but the worst was yet to come, as I dialed the Chicago number, and asked my question again.

"Uh....just a minute..."

Another voice: "Yes, may I help you?" and again a long silence when I asked the question. Then, "You'll have to fax your information, and someone will get back to you."

"Actually, I'm just trying to find out the answer to my question. What is the position of the Obama campaign..." and at this point I was interrupted.

"You'll have to fax your information..."

"I can't e-mail you?"

"No." came the reply as I stared at the e-mail address on the campaign's webpage.

"But I'm just trying to find out information...Let me explain..."

"No, I can't talk to you..." and the telephone was abruptly hung up.

What is going on with Barack Obama's campaign? Has he become out of touch with real issues? These ads are not needed. I have never seen a Keyes ad on Springfield's Sinclair station. And this is a real matter of principle. What is the problem?

If you would like a similar mind-numbing experience, you may contact Barack Obama's Springfield office at 627 East Adams, Springfield, IL 62701 or telephone (217) 544-9670 (Good luck with that!) The Chicago office is at P.O. Box 802799, Chicago, IL 60680-2799 and the telephone is (312) 427-6300 (for an even more masochistic experience!) And that fax is (312) 427-6401. By the way, they also give an e-mail address on their website: info@obamaforillinois.com Use it at your own risk!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, and you sound like a cool guy. Just wanted to let you know at the beginning.

As regards Obama, there were some rumblings not long ago about his remark about a strike at Iran. We have to watch this guy. I know little about him, but he might speak better than he is -- and to tell the truth, seeing him give the address at the DNC made me wonder how well in he is with the powers that be.

I forwaded your account to few Northern Illinois peace groups lists -- we'll se if anyone takes note and follows up.

We have to watch ALL these guys, especially Kerry!, and keep on keeping on regardless of who wins the elections. What we have here is a global village -- one world, and it's hell to try to colonize yourself.

October 21, 2004 at 5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The top ten advertisers on SINclair broadcasting that will not back away from the propaganda is found on
http://www.boycottsbg.com

These companys will not will not make any more money from my family or me.

Fairy

October 21, 2004 at 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose that Democrats should not advertise on Fox? I just don't get why people do not understand the business of politics. What does the fact that Keyes isn't advertising on Sinclair stations have to do with Obama getting his message out? He'll make a far greater impact in office rather than out so I don't hold it against the guy that he advertises where he can. Oh and if you aren't going to frequent Sinclairs advertisers put your money where your mouth is and don't vote Obama. Oh, I guess your principles are loose too.

October 25, 2004 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Harold Marshall said...

The experience I described came as sort of an epiphany concerning how we see the world as an "us versus them" experience. We take it for granted that "our" guys do no wrong, never make a mistake, and can never disappoint us. As the furor over the Sinclair broadcast grew, I also looked at the list of sponsors as a bunch of greedy guys who had to be shown the error of their way. "Let's boycott 'em!" And then my friend, Lin, asked the question: "Why is Obama still running commercials?"

I couldn't answer, and it shocked me that I hadn't even considered it. And thus the phone calls, and their less than satisfactory outcome. I've always been disappointed by Illinois politics, but these were slaps in the face by reality. We wish all those that we support to be above reproach, but sometimes they're just not. I have no way of knowing why the ads on the Sinclair stations are so important to the Obama campaign. I was never told. I do know that no ad or absense of any ad will affect the outcome of the election, since at last notice Obama was at least 40 to 45 points ahead of Keyes. There may have been some other principle involved, but lack of expanation makes this unlikely. A moral stand is only as good as the lesson it teaches others.

Of course, I'll still vote for Obama, but I just wish I this doubt had not been planted.

October 25, 2004 at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home